In the spirit of former endeavors, I think it’s a good idea to take another look at myself.
- Completed a year in Beijing, China
- Successfully kept a relationship up with Kelsey while across the world for thirteen months
- Learned a functional basic amount of Mandarin
- Helped organize the Beijing Debating Society
- Began couchsurfing, hosting one person in Beijing and staying with one person in Hong Kong (which was AWESOME)
- Filled my passport shortly before achieving the age of 24, forcing the emergency addition of pages to my passport in Laos
- Traveled over 10,000 miles to the far west of China and back within the span of a month
- Hiked the Great Wall with Jeff and capped off the day with TEDxGreatWall
- Developed hopefully sustainable trainee engagement and quality improvement in AIESEC in Beijing through the Beijing Trainee Committee, and organizing things like the 50-person Peking Duck Dinner
- Saw the most amazing star-scape I will likely ever see on this planet at Nam Tso in Tibet
- Learned a lot about my genealogy, especially on the Rhea side
- Improved and focused on my photography (thanks Peter and Lukas!)
- Landed an AMAZING internship at the Open Technology Initiative
- Wrote two articles before completing one month at said internship
- Traveled in general, highlighted by my month-long trip in China, trip to Tibet, and two weeks in Southeast Asia with Kelsey
- Started involvement in Bloomingdale Broadband Bridge
- Did not start learning Chinese as early as I had planned
- Did not land a paying job in DC by the end of the year
- Didn’t get to cooking enough on my return to the US
- Gained back some of the weight I lost in China
- Didn’t get a solid workout schedule going yet in DC
- Did not couchsurf as much as I would have liked
- Fell off the BrainCanvas wagon for a while
- Did not move forward with Entropy after receiving scathing reviews from the business plan analysts
- Have not picked music back up yet
- Did not stay out longer to contemplate the Universe at Nam Tso
- Didn’t take enough risks
Five Pictures to Sum Up 2010
Status of NYE 2011 Vision
- Making Waves in Washington, DC: I am in DC and I have an excellent internship. I’ve only just started getting involved in the community though and I don’t yet have a permanent position. At least I’m here; not sure that I’m making too many waves.
- Working Out my Mind, Body and Soul: My mind is getting a serious workout at the Open Technology Initiative. I have failed to keep my body in shape recently, something I will correct imminently. And in the rush of getting settled in a new place, I have neglected specific soul-nurturing. However, being in the same place as Kelsey has improved my general mood and optimism tenfold.
- Learned Conversational Chinese: Done. However, it’s slowly rotting away sans practice.
- My Writing is Referenced in Influential Publications: I was hoping this would happen for BrainCanvas, but I did write two pieces for OTI which have been retweeted nearly a hundred times by some focus-specific thought leaders.
- Making Music Regularly: Total failure. Disappointed in myself.
Looking Forward to NYE 2012
- Self-Actualization, or rapidly approaching it
- Active participation in creative communities – especially musical
- Reaching “Authority” Status on a Useful Topic
- Have started something influential
- Traveled somewhere new and amazing with Kelsey